Thursday, March 10, 2011

the converted


(My lovely sister, Erica, showing why the Kindle is so useful)


My dad is a technology junkie. He always seems to have the latest gadget and preached to me about 3G's and bluetooth until it sounded like another language. So when he offered me his Kindle (a device that can hold thousands of books at a time) I was hesitant. I love picking out second hand books with worn pages and comments scribbled in the margins, and leaving my own notes as I flip through.

I decided to give it a chance and read one book on it before making up my mind. Taking another of my dad's recommendations I read The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. (A decent book, well researched, but the last 1/5 of it was a flop that didn't meet the expectations it established earlier) and I've just started Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. The Kindle actually turned out to be remarkably handy. I could tuck it in the front of my binder when I went to class and slip it into my clutch when I was running around town. I hate being without a book wherever I am or whatever I'm doing so it was perfect... if only I'd had one when I was backpacking through Europe with all seven Harry Potter books!

One day I would still love to have my own little library, but right now the Kindle is a definite help.

No comments:

Post a Comment